Five must-attend activities for teens at your AGA
The Art Gallery of Alberta offers a myriad of opportunities for young people to get involved in the gallery, make art and connect with their creativity through teen classes and programs. These youth-centric initiatives give teens the space develop their personal vision and style through learning about art, meeting their peers, and experimenting with contemporary art-making techniques.
Upcoming AGA youth programming and classes include: studio classes and open studio time; a dedicated teen night at the gallery; and an upcoming art market for teen artists interested in selling their work.
1. SWARM: Teens Take Over your AGA is teen night at the gallery, a special evening designed for teens to make friends and be creative. Different themes and projects are presented at each SWARM, with the gallery open late for art-making activities and socializing. The next event is May 31, starting at 5 pm.
2. Studio Drop-In Workshops are affordable drop-in art classes for teens, held weekly at the gallery on Thursday nights. These classes are a great way for youth to experiment with art and the creative process, meet new friends, and explore different approaches to expressing their ideas. Classes cost $12 per drop-in session or $58 for 5-session punch card.
April 7, Art & Craft
April 14 | Ink Experiments
April 21 | Relief Printing
April 28 | Concrete Poetry
3. For the teen that does not want/need structured classes, but needs the space to create, Youth Studio is the perfect place to be. The AGA opens up its studio doors on Sundays from 1–4 pm, and for a $5 drop-in fee teens are invited to bring their art supplies, their ideas, and their energy to work on new or ongoing projects. This is a fantastic forum for youth to work in an open and comfortable studio environment.
4. For teens looking to get involved in the gallery in a more direct way, the AGA youth council, The Hive, gives its members exclusive access to the inner workings of the gallery and unique chances to collaborate with local artists and creative professionals. Members of The Hive work alongside gallery staff to design and develop programming initiatives for teens. Last year, the group implemented the SWARM teen night, and this year they have organized the upcoming Art Market, taking place April 28.
For teens wanting to join, the youth council is looking for new members for the 2016–17 school year. Deadline for applications is May 27, 2016.
5. Open to all artists and makers ages 13–17 interested in selling their work to members of the community and general public, the AGA teem Art Market takes place on April 28, 5–9 pm. The event will be held in Manning Hall—the large public space on the main level of the gallery—and will show-off a full range of creative offerings from the local teen arts community. The deadline for submissions for teen artists interested in a vendor table is April 15, and the fee is $20. Visit youraga.ca/art-market/ for more information.
April and May are full of inspiration and fun activities for teens at Your AGA. For information on youth programming happening year-round visit: youraga.ca/education/youth/